Popcorn and Vitriole

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Singin in the Rain

I have very little experience with musicals. It is true that I have seen West Side Story more times than I would like to admit, but beyond that I have seen very few traditional musicals. I was expecting a lot more singing (in the rain perhaps), but I was pleasantly surprised to see supplemental songs versus the singing of the dialogue.

This film was quite good expect a ten-minute musical and dance number detour. It seemed to be a showcase for Gene Kelly’s dance steps. I am not quite sure how this fit into the movie other than it was an addition to the musical talkie picture the characters were creating. It didn’t seem to fit and the story would not suffer without it. The dialogue was funny- the dance numbers, impressive- and the singing, entertaining. It is nice for a change to watch a musical without knives, guns, and war councils.

1 Comments:

  • What a great film (except for the 20 excessive minutes about the Broadway portion of The Dancing Cavalier.) The best parts were anything including Donald O'Connor, Gene Kelly's side kick. The "Always Make Them Laugh" number was a definite highlight for me.
    While I haven't seen Dreamgirls yet, I can compare this to a "great" musical of our generation, Chicago. Singin' in the Rain had so much life and spunk and innocence, which in a musical works quite well. Chicago comparatively was so dark and cynical and in a strange way self congratulatory. I will take the fluff of Sinin in the Rain any day.

    By Blogger Nate Clarke, at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home